Monday, June 18, 2007

Traveling to Yakima

Br. James Joost and I left Portland this morning at 8:30 AM. It really is a nice drive from Portland out to Yakima.

It was also a great time to catch up. Br. James and I had been real well-connected for about 5 years when he was Director of Vocations.

I must say, Br. James worked tremendously hard while Director of Vocations. You knew something was always happening. The amount of activity that he was doing and how well-connected he stayed with Contacts and Aspirants was great. It was always personal. It was always relational.

So driving up to Yakima together gave us some time to catch up on what has been going on in the past year for each of us.

We arrived in Yakima at about 11:30 AM and headed to La Salle High School. It really is a beautiful campus--lots of green!

We then headed to lunch and at this good taco stand. I am really looking forward to checking out the Hispanic part of Yakima.

It is an interesting city, which I wil get to know over the next four weeks.

We finally arrived at the Brothers' Community. Br. Dat, Br. James, and I will be the main ones here this summer.

I am finally beginning to prepare for my duties. While at La Salle, I will be teaching a Reading and Study Skills course to incoming freshmen. Our main readings will include Sandra Cisneros' The House on Mango Street and The Pearl by John Steinbeck. I will also be helping with the math course and in the admissions office. It should be an active summer.

While I am up here I will also continue my preparation for the novitiate by doing some book reading of books assigned by Br. Kevin and doing some course work with Br. Dat on Church Doctrine.

Where am I with things?

Over the past week, I feel like I have grown closer to God. I feel like there is an active relationship consisting of prayer. Spiritually, I feel I am growing.

I miss San Miguel High School and the apostolic work, but I think the involvement here at La Salle will be good.

I have not enjoyed not being able to settle in a place, but 4 weeks here in Yakima will help.

I am trying to view this journey as part of the big journey of being a Brother and being open to the Spirit. I guess I realize, wow it is hard to leave a place, but that is the life of a Brother, responding to the need. It also brings on a feeling of being disconnected, which I think that has to do with being away from those people I left behind in Tucson. There's a feeling of being dependent, since so much is sort of planned for me for the next few weeks. Yet, I feel like this is all good and will help my development as I enter the Brothers. New relationships will be made, new connections will take place, and the work will come. One walks the journey with God. It has been a blessing to also walk the journey with my family, whom I am in constant communication with and Br. Nick who is encouraging and keeps in touch.

While I do feel some frusteration about being away from the work, I take consolation in the example given by Jesus. He took time for renewal, for rest. As my relationship with God becomes active, I see it not only as a time for rest, but for developing spiritually now and especially in the novitiate.

Well, off to dinner and prayer I go.

Have a nice evening!