Sunday, June 10, 2007

Events of the past week: June 4 - 10

Well, it's been a while since I've been on this thing. But, I'm back!

I am now in Berkeley, CA. I arrived today from Los Angeles. I will be here until Saturday. It will be an eventful week, which will be dominated by my attending the Cummins Insitute at St. Mary's College. More on that later.

But this past week has been a crazy one: A week where I was gearing up for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. Thanks to the family support and God it all turned out well. Friday we had a nice surprise event for my parents in Whittier, CA with a blessing, dinner, toasts, mariachi, and a DJ. About 150 family members attended the event. Photos will come soon. It was also a nice time because there was also some focus on my becoming a Brother. There was a lot of genuine interest and happiness in the family about this step in my life. It gave me an opportunity to explain what the heck I was doing!

Anyway, I thought I would share the "toast speech" I prepared and said to my parents, well for those who know Spanish:

"Hace 25 anos mis papas, Rosalía y Agustín, se cazaron. No tenían idea de
cuantos hijos tendrían, como se llamaran, donde iban ha vivir, si no que solo
empezaba sus vidas juntos.

En 1983, encontraron una casa en la
avenida 32. Una casa con su porche, su sala, cocina, pasillo, y dos
recamaras. Tenía una chimenea, su driveway, una yarda de buen tamaño y su
garaje.

En 1984, nació su primer hijo, Christopher Alexander y en
1985 nació una hija, Nathalie Nicole.

Para Rosalía y Agustín la
familia y la fe siempre era lo más importante. Sus hijos, sus papas, sus
tíos y tías, sus hermanos y hermanas, sus primos, sus sobrinos,
etc.…

La educación y la fe de sus hijos eran muy importantes para
ellos. Después del kindergarten los inscribieron en la escuela San
Bernardo donde también era la parroquia de la familia. Durante el tiempo
en San Bernardo Agustín y Rosalía no solo pagaban lo colegiatura pero también
ponían horas y horas como voluntarios, vendían chocolates, y bueno todo lo que
ustedes han comprado boletos de rifa, papel de navidad y bueno toda vía siguen
ahí.

El ano 1994 fue un ano con mucha actividad. En enero
pues hubo el terremoto que tumbo parta de la chimenea y partió el patio.
Era tiempo para un remodelación de esa casa un la avenida 32. Se tumbo el
porche y se agrando la sala. En mayo de este ano algo muy especial paso,
un regalo de Dios, el nacimiento de la tercer hija, Denise Kimberly
Patiño.

Siguieron los anos con las mismas prioridades, la familia,
la educación de sus hijos, y bueno el trabajo.

Eventualmente,
Denise llego a la esuela San Bernardo, Natalie y Christopher se graduaron.
Christopher siguió a la escuela Catedral y Natalie a la escuela Holy
Family.

Papa, mama gracias por todo. Ustedes han sido en
ejemplo de los buenos valores, de que es vivir una buena vida, de tener
fe. Como maestro, para mi el ejemplo es un modo muy profundo de cómo
enseñar a los demás.

Su amor ha ustedes mismos, su amor a sus
hijos, su amor ha su familia, y su amor a su fe han sido un gran ejemplo para
todos.

Después de 25 anos espero que estén orgullosos de quien son,
lo duro que han trabajado, y todo lo que han hecho. Le pido a Dios que los
próximos 25 sean llenos de más amor, de más fe, y de más
alegría.

Este día es de ustedes entonces brindamos por
ustedes…salud!"
The celebration continued Saturday when family came over to my parents' house. We had about 50 people there Saturday night. A touching moment during the evening was my uncle singing a song he had written for my parents. It was simply great to get together will family again!

The week was also filled with some detail planning for the Lasallian Leaders Conference the San Miguel students will be attending. It is nice to have it as a formal excuse to stay connected with SMHS.

It was also a great week because I had the chance to spend time with my parents and sister, Denise. I tried to be helpful by cooking dinner on Monday and Tuesday--it was edible. I had the chance to spend a lot of time with Denise and even ssaw her practice volleyball on Wednesday and Thursday. She's a great kid!

I was able to go by and visit Cathedral High School and connect with a few people. I even had a nice sushi lunch with John Ferrante, thank you Mr. Ferrante! Great place, I recommend it, "Ai" in South Pasadena. I spent some time with a good friend, Brandon Birr. On Monday, we went to mass at the Cathedral followed by lunch at Calle Olvera. Thursday, we went to the San Antonio Winery and tasted different champagnes as I picked one out for my parents' party. We then had dinner at Liberty Grill in Downtown L.A.

It was an active and nice week in L.A. I look forward to my time there in August.