Monday, June 18, 2007

Portland

Sunday, June 17:

Happy Father's Day!

This is a late post as I am trying to catch up.

It was nice to be able to sleep in this morning. I have been journeying so far in a "timeless" mode. With so much going on this summer, I feel it is best to just take things one day at a time. Typically, you would fine me up by 5:00 AM and trying to get something done. These days I take advantage of days where there is not much on the agenda. It may be sleeping in, spending 30 minutes in the chapel praying, journaling/blogging, reading news, or catching up on sports among other things.

This Sunday, Br. Kevin, Br. Jonathan and I traveled to the Portland Cathedral for mass. It was the 11 AM mass with 4 baptisms, which meant mass did not end until 12:45. However, it had a great choir. The mass actually was a very good one with a very decent priest who gave a great homily. I typically find homilies stimulating whether I agree or not with what the priest is saying. It always gets me reflecting.

I found the Sunday readings well connected, and the gospel to be a beautiful one: http://www.usccb.org/nab/061707.shtml. I think it had a lot to say about forgiveness and love. Isn't it interesting how powerful the gift of forgiveness is? What a loving gesture? Yet, one must sin first to experience forgiveness. We are human indeed.

After mass, we headed to brunch at a very nice restaurant in the Pearl District of Portland. It seems to be an old industrial area that is being gentrified. Anyway, I had a burger at Blue Hour Restaurant. We then took a walk around the area, including to the famous Powell's Bookstore. I found it overwhelming, although I did buy my sister a book as a reward for completing 7th grade successfully. Denise is quite the gem!

Following our walk, we headed out to the river walk around the Willamette. We took a 1 and a half hour stroll around the area. Portland is really a nice city. I guess in the time spent in Portland, I could see myself attracted by the city and the work at De La Salle North Catholic.

After our our 2nd walk, which Br. Jonathan really enjoyed, we headed back to the house. The community then went out to dinner at Outback steakhouse where we had a great meal. I guess it was a day of touring and eating and very much enjoyed.

By the way, I did call my great dad and wish him a Happy Father's Day!