Monday, June 4, 2007

Leaving San Miguel High School

Well, I know San Miguel is a wonderful place, especially because it was so hard to leave. It is a place of miracles. It is a place of faith. I felt God spoke to me through the students entrusted to SMHS, through the faculty and staff that believed in our mission and made it come alive, and through simply letting God take over. I could probably write a book on San Miguel High School and it's only 3 years old! But our Lasallian mission, our roots are there, visible each day. Visible in the families who want San Miguel for their children, visible in the teachers that love and challenge the students each day, visible in the students who embrace, little by little, what San Miguel has to offer. It's not the perfect school, it does not have perfect students, nor does it have the perfect adults, but it has the faith to believe, the vision to dream, and the willingness to work.

I would say my departure became (felt) official on March 29, two days before my birthday. My World History class had decided, through the help of the great Br. Nick, to provide me with a card and cake for the class to share in. It was a great moment of joy, because God had given me the privilege to feel the love of my students, especially as I read what they had to say in the card. 2 days later the Brothers' Communty, again with Br. Nick leading, presented me with a beautiful picture frame which included photos of all the faculty and staff along with my World History students. It was, one of the best, if not the best, birthday gifts I have ever received. I hung the frame in my office right away. I will definitely carry it around everywhere I go.

From this point on, there were constant reminders about leaving. It really humbled me.

In April, we had our annual Student Achievement Awards Banquet at the Hotel Arizona. It was here that I was surprised with some great words written by Br. Nick and read by Br. Steven, followed by a DVD presentation. Wow! I don't cry, but if I did this is where I would cry. I was speechless and all I could do is express my love for SMHS.

In May, it felt more like I was leaving when our new Director of Admissions came on board, Mrs. Fabiola Kenney. She is a gift to SMHS and it is a blessing to have her. She came aboard May 1st, and we were able to work together for a month. She's a natural!

While, all this was going on, I was happy about one constant thing: the classroom. I was still very involved with my Freshman World History class; a group I came to really appreciate. I am thankful to God for not only giving me the opportunity to work with these students, but also to be involved in the classroom with them.

In May, our newsletter was published and Br. Nick wrote a very nice, meaningful article.

May was also the month where we celebrated our Founder's Week. It is something I am very grateful to God for. It was a very special time at San Miguel High School where the Lasallian Spirit and Zeal came alive in a special way. It was seen in every single individual on campus.

It was during this week that some special occassions occurred. First, during our sports rally, I was presented with some pretty cool SMHS memorabilia, inscribed with the words, "SMHS Founder." Not only was I given this, but also students signed a big poster board with best wishes and then they came up and bombarded me with hugs. This same evening we took about 50 students to a Sidewinder's Game. For me to see our students together and enjoying a Friday evening out was so special. It was just awesome to watch them be teenagers and enjoying each other's company.

It was at the end of Founder's Week that we celebrated our Founder's Day Liturgy. Br. Dan gave a beautiful homily, which challenged us to say, "Yes!" to God. It was a challenge to all of us to continue to say yes, even when we are called to give up or do more. At the end of the celebration, I was presented with another incredible gift: letters from the students. St. La Salle's words came alive at that moment,

"What ought to engage you further to have great zeal in your state is the
fact that you are not only the ministers of God, but also of Jesus Christ and of
the Church. This is what Saint Paul says when he expresses the wish that
everyone should regard those who announce the Gospel as ministers of Jesus
Christ,6 who write the letter which he has dictated not with ink but with the
Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh which
are the hearts7 of children."

But in this, the tables were being turned, I was being asked by God, through our students, to let their words be the "Spirit of the Living God" dictated on my heart.


As I read these letters, I was touched by the fact that they were so spiritual, God indeed was speaking to me through the words and love of the students at San Miguel High School. Br. Nick's challenge to me would be: "Now, what will you do with that?" It is a challenge I take very seriously.

To be continued...