Thursday, June 7, 2007

Leaving San Miguel High School (part 2)

Founder's Day was also a special day because we witnissed our students having a great time during our first ever "Field Day." Probably one of the most unexpected things happened on this day. As we were cleaning up, after a long day, a student on the way out just ran up to me and cloberred me with a hug saying, "See you later, Patino." It was one of those "wow, what was that?" moments. But it was special. It was a sign of the family San Miguel High School had become. A sign of the special student-teacher relationship within the Lasallian school. A sign of a healthy love that exists.

From this point on, I was basically gearing up for the big "good-bye." It was important to me, especially because of the advice of various Brothers, to take the time to say good-bye. It meant cards for the friends and family I had made. It meant nice dinners out. It meant taking the time to be with people. I had lunch with my good friend Jenny. The Brothers' Community had a going away brunch out at the Tequila Factory (highly recommend it). They presented me with a nice gift, a St. John Baptist De La Salle box with my name engraved on it.

It was during this time that I also took the time to thank my world history class for the privilege of being their teacher. I took the time to mention something about each student and give them a "Live Jesus in Our Hearts" cross. Of course, food had to be included so on their last day we had a "Viva Burrito" party after their finals.

It also meant saying good-bye to students in general outside the classroom.

During the last week of school, one of our freshman had two strokes. It was quite a shock to us and a scary time. However, again a reminder of the family San Miguel High School had become, it was her friends visiting her at the hospital that seemed to make a big difference in her recovery. The day after she had all her friends visit, she was moved out of ICU. Seeing her at the hospital, was a great reminder to us of the value of life and how things could change so quickly. It was scary, but Darana seems on her way to recovery.
Another event that took place during our last week of school was an outing to Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, Mexico. Alma, her husband, Mike, Br. Nick and myself spent the weekend together as a good-bye trip. We had a great time.
The final week at San Miguel arrived, pretty fast I must say. The week basically consisted of meetings and wrapping up projects.

On the last day, we had a potluck at the Brothers' house. It was a great time together. A celebration of my departure, a celebration of Br. Nick's birthday and a celebration of the end of the year. Lots of great food and fun. I was presented with another special gift on this day. The school presented me with a VERY nice leather book bag filled with the good wishes of all the staff. Again, in reading these cards I was very touched by what people had to say and I will use it as strength for the journey.



Thank you, San Miguel. Here is an excerpt from the good-bye letter I wrote:

“Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.”-Luke, 5:16

What can I say? San Miguel has changed my life. The individuals who I have worked with, I now call friends and family. The students, who God has given me the privilege of encountering each day, I now call younger brothers and sisters. The Brothers I have lived with, I now call older brothers...

I cannot put into words how much I care for every single person here: faculty, staff, and students. I have a deep affection for each of you. Most importantly, I am glad God has blessed our students and families with you. They are blessed to have you. San Miguel is a Lasallian school and you each carry and live the Lasallian spirit...

I look forward to returning as the Brother you have taught me to be...

“The students must be convinced that they themselves are a letter which Jesus Christ dictates to you…by the Spirit of the living God, who acts in you and by you through the power of Jesus Christ.”

“In order for you to fulfill this duty with as much perfection and exactness as God requires of you, frequently give yourselves to the Spirit of our Lord…”

-St. John Baptist de La Salle [adapted]