Sunday, July 15, 2007

Youth...Web Design...and Cows!

The last few days has been very much all over the place.

Wednesday and Thursday I spent the mornings with students at La Salle. They really are good young people. I had a student compose a poem clowning on the Arizona Wildcats as his assignment. Another student hid another a desk as his mother came to my classroom to pick him up. Then a couple of students followed me to the car to make fun of what I was driving. High school freshmen they're funny!

On a more serious note, the assignment give to student on Thursday was to compose a poem on a topic of their choice. Wow! They were powerful.

I'll share one:

As I walked down the street
I see kids playing soccer
with no shoes
the step on the dirt with gravel and don't care.

As I walked down the street
I see the poor people
with their houses broken down.
I felt bad so I helped them.

I miss those good old times
when the streets were filled with joy
where everybody could walk freely.
I sure do miss those good times.

Those good times when everybody
trusted everybody.
Now the world is turning dark.
Now no one trusts anyone.
The world is sad and unhappy.

I wish everything can go back
to the loyal and happy people.
I wish I live in the good times
with family and friends.

This poem was composed by a student who lives with his mother and 5 brothers. I took him home on Thursday and dropped him off at a house, it looked like a 1 or 2 bedroom home. Yet, it was his home! He's a good young man.

A highlight of today was hearing from Ezequiel Santamaria, former student of mine at San Miguel High School. We were able to communicate on the phone.

Thursday is my cooking night, so I made a taco salad and corn on the cob.

Friday:
I spent Friday pretty much working on the San Miguel High School website. I am having fun with the project. Check out the new and improved website at http://www.sanmiguelhigh.com/.

I was also greatly relieved to hear that De La Salle High School in Concord will let us borrow two of their vans next week for the Lasallian Leaders Conference. Thank you De La Salle and a special THANKS to Marilyn Paquette at De La Salle Institute.

I also spent much time reading Thomas Merton's, "Contemplative Prayer."

We didn't go out Friday evening as we usually do. Instead, we ordered some pizza and watched a movie (Flag of our Fathers). Good movie! It was a Br. Dan order from NetFlix.

Saturday:
A day to sleep in was greatly appreciated. I began the morning by helping scrape some paint off the wooden porch, which is being refurbished.

I then headed to Michael's crafts to pick up some material for a prayer service. San Miguel is in charge of one prayer service next week at the Lasallian Leaders Conference.

I also had a chance to phone my family in L.A. We talk about 3 or 4 times a week. Mom, dad, and sisters are doing fine!

After Michael's, I headed to Starbucks to do some more spiritual reading spending about an hour and a half there.

I came home around 12:30 just in time to catch the Dodgers-Giants nationally televised game on FOX. Go Dodgers! They won 8-7.

I also spent some more time working on the San Miguel website.

In the evening, Br. James Joost and I headed downtown to check out the Folk Music Festival. We went the a bar, Bob's, had dinner and listened to some good music. We spent about 2 hours there, before heading to a different place for dessert and more music.

Sunday:
Yakima is surrounded by many smaller towns, which are anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours away. Br. James suggested we head to White Swan for mass. White Swan is about 45 minutes away. We made the drive only to find out that mass was at 8:30 AM and not 9:00 AM as Br. James thought. So Br. Dan, Br. James, and I headed back to Yakima.

I made myself an egg sandwich and then headed to mass with Br. James to St. Joseph's Parish downtown. It was a parish I was curious to check out. I also wanted to experience a mass in Spanish so the 11:00 AM was a good choice. I loved it! Great church and great community.

During our ride back, I experienced a "only in Yakima" moment: a herd of cows being moved across a street. Quite a site! Wish I would have had my camera with me!

After coming home, I picked up my reading material and headed to Starbucks for some more reading, finally finishing Merton's "Contemplative Prayer." It's a good book and resource. I also used my time to prepare for class tomorrow.

I then headed to the movie theater to catch a matinee.

I ended Sunday working on the SMHS website, again a project I am having a lot of fun with.

Well, it's late so off I go...good night!