Monday, July 9, 2007

Trust and Courage

Summer classes started up again at La Salle after the 4th of July break. Students needed some help refocusing. We had a good day in class talking about classical drama and beginning the Greek Classic: Antigone.

Monday is 1 of our 3 mass days. In the last two days, I have really been struck by the readings and back-to-back, well-delivered homilies!

Today's readings come from Genesis and the Gospel of Matthew. Readings for Monday, July 9th.

I titled this entry "Trust and Courage" because of my reflection on the readings...

The theme of trusting in God comes up in today’s first reading. Yesterday, I found myself really connecting with the homily, which focused on the idea of “courage” and leaving behind our extra, unnecessary “baggage.” Which leads us to ask the question: “What is the baggage in our life that holds us back?” What a great reflection question.

I don’t know which is first courage or trust. My guess is that in our world today we are all guilty of being courageous for all types of reasons. We need to prove ourselves! You can do it! Yet, what good is our courage if we don’t trust in God?

In the first reading today, God speaks to Jacob in the following words: “Know that I am with you; I will protect you wherever you go, and bring you back to this land. I will never leave you until I have done what I promised you.” God asks Jacob to have courage, to take a risk, and go forth on the journey because he can trust in God.

We are called to do the same. How? Well, God came to Jacob in a dream, but sleeping and waiting for a dream may not be the most rational thing to do. However, if we “dream” by reflecting/praying and give God a chance to communicate with us might be something we can do before we go out and act courageously.

Jacob had already embarked on his journey, but God reassured him. Therefore, we too, must look for the signs God gives us to have courage, to indeed trust we are on the journey with Him. Our journey is nothing if we do not allow God to accompany us. Our journey will fail if we do not trust in God.

All this has great relevance for me at this present time in my life. I find myself missing the comfort of Tucson. I find myself missing the comfort of San Miguel High School and its familiar faces. I find myself “missing” a lot of people. Yet, it reassures me to know that the signs are there for me where I can see God. For example, in the last two days I find God challenging me to trust and to continue to have courage.

The end of the first reading gives us more to reflect on. I think it is important what Jacob does following his dream: he honors the place where he has experienced God in a special way. He makes a vow. I think it is important because it reminds us that we must honor God with great thanksgiving in the end. It reminds us to return to our roots, to the place (physical or spiritual) where God let us experience him in a special way. For me, it is obviously San Miguel High School where I felt God clearly spoke to me and gave me the affirmation to take this journey. I often return to SMHS in my prayers, thoughts, and imagination seeing how God called me. If God has called me, then I must trust he will remain with me and protect me on the journey, just as Jacob did. The responsorial psalm of the day says it clearly: “In you, my God, I place my trust.”

The Gospel is a great reminder of faith. These desperate people have come to Jesus with great faith. Sometimes our desperation allows us to have great faith, but we must practice faith outside of such circumstances, in order for it to come alive at those points where we find ourselves desperate. Faith thus allows us to trust, have courage, and continue on the journey towards God. And it is a cycle; trust and courage allow us to have faith.