Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Let the Inner Journey Begin...

I guess much of the next year will focus on my inner journey. That is, my spiritual journey or relationship with God. My inner journey also means dealing with...ME!

I arrived at the Novitiate for the De La Salle Christian Brothers this past Sunday, August 19th. As I drove up the long windy road to Mont La Salle, I was in bit of a shock..."Wow, I am going to call this home for the next year!"

My time here has started off very smoothly...God is taking care of me! I began to move in and settle in as soon as I got here. We spent Monday and Tuesday getting ourselves organized as a community: responsibilities, schedules, and a good review of the purpose of this year.

Based on what I have been told by other Brothers, I think this year will include the following: deepening my person, my being in relationship to others and to God; it will be a year that is a gift and I am invited to "waste time" in the Lord; an opportunity to live the Church calendar (daily prayers and mass); and pushing me to deal with God and to deal with myself.

This year requires an openness of mind and heart. In the end, this year is about me and my relationship with Jesus Christ. Its about deepening of a gift, an invitation, with joy and peace. I want to look at this invitation/calling/vocation and solidfy my answer to God, while being able to somehow articulate it. Who will be, who is Br. Chris Patiño?

I will be able to do a lot of this through the time available and time required for prayer/mass, through classes I will be taking (Religious Life and Scripture), in the context of the community that is on the journey with me, etc....

We began with classes today and dealt with an introduction to a lot of the above--received some books and readings we will start with!

We do have some basic responsibilites as members of the community. Mine include: photographer for the community; loading the fridge with beverages; and kitchen coordinator/food shopper. This is in addition to our Friday house cleaning responsibilities.

The residence I live in is the Novitiate Residence of Mont La Salle, the headquarters for the District of San Francisco of the Brothers of the Christian Schools. Our residence has 10 rooms, a kitchen, showers/restrooms, laundry rooms, gymnasium, tv room, dining room, classrooms, offices, and a library.

On a side note, before my arrival, I did have the opportunity to take a family vacation to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. It was great to spend some time with my family.

Tonight was a special night, since we had an official welcome BBQ provided by the Provincialate Community and Holy Family Community of Mont La Salle--thanks Brothers!

As I settle in, I will try to post more regularly and share my journey.